Skip to main content

Gift Planning

Planned Giving

Find out what types of assets make the best planned gifts. Learn about gifts of cash, securities and property.

Bob and Mary Are Giving Smarter and Achieving Their Dreams...Find Out How You Can Too!

Couple posing with two dogs

Bob and Mary first met at Two-Bit Flicks, a 25-cent movie night held on Fridays in Brighton Lecture Hall. When the spring formal hosted by the women's dorm came around, Mary asked Bob to go with her. It was their first "official" date.

The rest, as the saying goes, is history. Or in Bob and Mary's case, it is natural history. That's because Emporia State also introduced them to a lifelong passion for the natural sciences.

Bob and Mary feel Emporia State was the catalyst for the life they've built together. Mary became a science educator for 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th grade students. Bob founded and served as director of the Great Plains Nature Center and became a renowned nature photographer.

Now they want others to have the same opportunity they did. They want to help students come to ESU and discover a passion they can follow for the rest of their lives.

Bob and Mary found a simple and easy way to achieve this dream. When they set up their trust, they named Emporia State as a beneficiary.

What's your dream?

Learn how easy it is to make your dream a reality by naming Emporia State University in your will or trust. Contact Angela Fullen, Director of Planned Giving at the Emporia State University Foundation. She can answer your questions or help you get started. If you have already named Emporia State in your will or trust, let us know. We will make sure your gift does everything you want it to do.

"I would encourage anyone, if they are thinking about doing something like this, to contact the Foundation. For us, it has been a great experience." - Mary Butel

Getting Started is Easy

Not sure how to take the first step? We've got just the thing you need. Download your free Will and Estate Planning Guide. This guide is an easy way to get started on, or update, your estate plan. It will help you explore your options at your own pace. It's free, easy and yours to keep.

Download your copy today or contact Angela Fullen to request a printed copy.

Image of Angela Fullen

Angela Fullen
Director of Planned Giving
Telephone: 620-341-6465
[email protected]

Text Resize
Friday March 1, 2024

Savvy Living

Savvy Senior

Financial Help for Family Caregivers

I have been taking care of my elderly parent for over a year and it is affecting my finances since I can only work part-time. Are there any resources that can help family caregivers receive financial support?

Caring for an elderly parent can be challenging in many ways, but it can be financially difficult if you must miss work to provide care. Fortunately, there are several government programs and other tips that may help you receive financial assistance while you care for your parent. Here are some options to explore.

Medicaid Assistance

All 50 states and the District of Columbia offer self-directed Medicaid services for long-term care. These programs let states approve waivers to allow income-qualified individuals to manage their own long-term home-care services. In some states, that can include hiring a family member to provide care.

Benefits, coverage, eligibility and rules differ from state to state. Program names also vary: "consumer directed care" in one state, may be called "participant-directed services," "in-home supportive services" or "cash and counseling" in another. Contact your state Medicaid program to ask about its options and requirements.

Veterans Benefits

If your parent is a military veteran, there are several VA programs. The eligibility criteria will vary, but these programs provide financial assistance to family caregivers, including:
  • Veteran-Directed Care: This program is available in most states and provides a needs-based monthly budget for long-term care services. The veteran manages their own budget and hires their own caregivers, which many include family members. (
  • VA Aid & Attendance or Housebound Benefits: This program provides a monthly payment to veterans and their surviving spouses who receive a VA pension and who either need assistance with activities of daily living (i.e., bathing, dressing, going to the bathroom), or are housebound. (
  • Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers: This program provides a monthly stipend to family members who serve as caregivers for veterans who need assistance with daily living activities resulting from an injury or illness sustained while in the line of duty. (

Other Alternatives

Find out if your parent has long-term care insurance that covers in-home care. Long-term care insurance pays primarily for assistance with everyday tasks and does not require a licensed health care professional to provide the services. Some policies will pay benefits for care rendered in an in-home setting. Contact your parent's insurance provider to see if you are eligible to make a claim.

Some additional options for financial support include having your parent pay you for the care you provide if they are financially able to do so. Another option is to have other family members provide help. Check with your family members to see if they would be able to help take care of your parent and allow you to work beyond part-time. Alternatively, your family may be able to pay for your time or other caregivers.

If your family agrees to offer financial support, consider drafting a written contract that details the terms of your work and payment arrangements. A contract sets out everyone's expectations and will also help avoid potential problems should your parent ever need to apply for Medicaid for nursing home care.

Tax Credits

There are also tax credits and deductions you may be eligible for as your parent's caregiver. For example, if your parent lives with you and you are paying at least half of your parent's living expenses, and your parent's gross income was less than $4,400 in 2022, not counting Social Security, you can claim your parent as a dependent on your taxes and potentially receive a maximum of $500 as a tax credit.

If you cannot claim your parent as a dependent, you may still be able to get a tax deduction if you are paying more than half of their living expenses including medical and long-term care costs, and those expenses exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You can include your own medical expenses in calculating the total. To see which medical expenses you can deduct, see IRS Publication 502 at

Furthermore, if you are paying for in-home care or adult day care for your parent to allow you to work, you may qualify for the Dependent Care Tax Credit. Depending on your income, this credit may be worth as much as $1,050. To claim this credit, you will need to fill out IRS Form 2441 ( when you file your federal return.

Savvy Living is written by Jim Miller, a regular contributor to the NBC Today Show and author of "The Savvy Living" book. Any links in this article are offered as a service and there is no endorsement of any product. These articles are offered as a helpful and informative service to our friends and may not always reflect this organization's official position on some topics. Jim invites you to send your senior questions to: Savvy Living, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070.

Published March 24, 2023

Previous Articles

Medicare Surcharges When Income Changes

How to Protect Against Scam Calls

How to Spot Signs of a Thyroid Problem

Tips and Tools for Retiring Abroad

Do I Have to File Income Tax Returns This Year?